Thursday, February 12, 2015

There's NOT an app for that.

After our news began to sink in, we started to shift our focus onto the 'what next' and 'omg' and 'are you nervous?' phase.  Mr. Mom downloaded a few pregnancy tracker apps, and perhaps she will offer an app review guest post if I'm really nice to her!

I, however, am disappointed by the options in apps designed for tracking your partner's pregnancy.  They are all for dads (not a shocker, I guess), but many are SO man-stereotyped. Like macho on testosterone and steroids.  Blah.

So far, I've tried three of the least offensive looking pregnancy tracking apps, and I'm rating them on a scale of 1 to 5, where 5 is as good as it gets!

1) What to Expect: 3
This is one is a classic, and it's great for moms-to-be.  As in, the mom with the bun in the oven.  The settings do ask if you are carrying the child or if you are a parent/guardian, but it still feels very mom-focused (minus 1), and really doesn't address the experience of the other partner much at all (minus 1).

2) Who's Your Daddy?: 4
I love the simple design on this one.  Daily and weekly tips (many of which are quite funny), as well as a nice toolkit: Hospital bag packing list, to-do lists, contraction timer.  Minus 1 because it's still assumes I have a penis and use male pronouns.

3) Pregnant Dad: 3.5
Not as pretty on their design as the Who's Your Daddy app (minus .5), but lots of info to read.  I like when I get to learn all the things.  Still has the penis/male pronoun problem (minus 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment